Last week, I introduced What Does the Bible Says about Healthy Eating Cookbook. Before I continue with the book review, I’d like to share with you a little bit about the Authors Hope Egan and Amy Cataldo
Hope Egan, who is was born and raised jewish struggled with food issues during her youth and says she naturally developed confused eating patterns, with a health food nut mom and a junk-food junkie dad. Following emotional and spiritually difficulties which she faced, her mind was opened as she searched for answers. It was then that she began to really desire a relationship with Jesus/Yeshua. After other physical illnesses, she finally understood that she had to fully trust God/Yahweh and seek guidance in this area of her life as well. She read many books looking for answers and after reading Dr. Rex Russell’s book, What the Bible Says about Healthy Living, she found the answers to her questions. She quotes “Of course God cares abut what we eat!” Hope Egan is also the author of Holy Cow, Does God Care About What We Eat? (Another great book which I've previously read)
Amy Cataldo was blessed with healthy eating habits from her mom who prepared healthy home-cooked meals from scratch. During her college years, living under a busy schedule and a tight budget her lifestyle depended on cheap convenience foods. It was only a matter of time, living under these stressed conditions that Amy realized she had new-found convictions with her previous healthy eating habits she was raised and with a new direction in her spiritual life. Upon completion of her reading What the Bible Says about Healthy Living, she realized that God does really care about her and what she ate.
Both ladies who previously knew each other formed a monthly cooking club to share their findings based on God’s design for eating. With our Heavenly Father's convictions they soon pursued the need to encourage others on this journey to healthier eating habits by accompanying Dr. Rex Russel's book with a cookbook.
As I continue to review What the Bible Says about Healthy Living Cookbook, I am again reminded of Dr. Rex Russell’s Three Principles which is the foundation of his book. Amy Cataldo and Hope Egan want to take these Three Principles one step further in their cookbook and help the reader take action.
- Principle 1: Eat only substances God created for food. Avoid what is not designed for food. The author’s goals want to offer a wide variety of God’s ingredients throughout the recipes in this book.
- Principle 2: As much as possible, eat foods as they were created—before they are changed or converted into something humans think might be better. Eating foods in their most wholesome state as much as possible is healthiest. This means cooking more from scratch but with the help of Amy and Hope, you’ll find many healthy recipes which are quick to prepare.
- Principle 3: Don’t let any food or drink become your god. By following Principles 1 & 2, Principle 3 should be easy to follow through.
- The Getting Started section offers a list of key ingredients to keep on hand to ensure the recipes will be easy to follow.
- Having the first 3 chapters as the backbone of the book helps the cook focus on proper menu preparation. By picking one recipe from each first 3 sections guarantees a good balanced meal.
- Looking at the recipes on each individual page, I really appreciate the layout, with the directions clearly spelled out on the right hand side of the page and the ingredients list found on the left hand column which can be easily glanced at to see if items may be needed.
- To have a list of variations at the bottom of the recipe page helps me to be more creative when serving a meal to my family. Thanks Amy and Hope, I love this tip!
- Some recipes also have a section titled “Love Thy Leftovers” to help us all not waste and put the leftovers to good use for a future meal. What more could you ask for.
- With the Divine Design facts, symbolized by an olive branch found at the bottom of the recipe page, you'll gain knowledge of 'God's goodness throughout the Bible) What a great testimony.
Do you remember the authors mentioned that the first 3 chapters are the backbone of the book? That's a great help for those who don't know where to get started. As you look further, you'll see that you can easily choose a meal from the meatless main dishes or a soup if you preferred (I love making soups and eating them, just ask my family!) In the dessert section, if a sweetener is needed, the recipe will call for a natural substitute, like honey or maple syrup, remember, the focus is God designed foods.
The book covers recipes in the following categories:
Chapter 1 Vegetables, Dressings and Sauces
Chapter 2 Grains and Potatoes
Chapter 3 Fish, Poultry, Beef and Lamb
Chapter 4 Meatless Main Dishes
Chapter 5 Soup, Stew and Chili
Chapter 6 Breakfast
Chapter 7 Desserts and Fruit
Chapter 8 Appetizers and Snacks
I'll be wrapping up the review in Part Three, so please come back and visit if your interested in learning more
For Part One, please visit What the Bible Says about Healthy Eating Cookbook ~ Part One
Here are a few recipes you can try out
I’m also planning to have a giveaway for a copy of cookbook which Hope Egan so graciously offered. So be on the lookout for the giveaway in the next few weeks!
If you can't wait and would like to purchase a copy of What the Bible Says about Healthy Living Cookbook right now, click here.
If you would like to learn more of the Biblical Dietary laws: here are some books worthwhile reading.
- What the Bible Says About Healthy Living: Three Biblical Principles That Will Change Your Diet and Improve Your Health , by Dr. Rex Russell
- Holy Cow by Hope Egan
- The Makers Diet by Jordan Rubin
- The Great Physician's RX for Health and Wellness by Jordan Rubin
*(I have some extra copies of Perfect Weight America by Jordan Rubin along with the accompanying journal, if you're interested in receiving a copy please email me directly for the price)
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this cook book and am not in any way receiving compensation for reviewing this book.
This post was shared with:
Tuesday Twister at GNOWFLINS
Two for Tuesday at GirlChief
Real Food Wednesday at Kelly The Kitchen Kop
Pennywise Platter at The Nourishing Gourmet
Fight Back Friday at Real Food Renegade
Monday Mania at Healthy Home Economist
Do you also follow the Biblical Dietary Laws? If so, when were you convicted? Please share.