Summer is fast approaching here. We've had wonderful cool weather this past month. The humidity and heat is rising though here in North Texas. I'm so grateful we've been able to enjoy having the windows open. We've been blessed with waking up to the singing of the beautiful bird songs. Praise YHWH!
With summer comes more salad making. We usually have a green salad every day regardless of winter, yes even with hot warming soup during the winter months. I've been wanting to share this simple yet tasty green bean salad. If you like cabbage and green beans then maybe you will enjoy this combination in one plate! Oh I've also added barley too.
- 4 cups green beans
- 1 cup red cabbage thinly sliced or shredded
- 1-2 cups cooked buckwheat (can be prepared ahead of time)
- 1/4 red onions
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- oil and vinegar
- basil, parsley, other herbs you prefer
- capers (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Steam the green beans for only 5-6 minutes once the water boils and then remove and place in a bowl to cool. I prefer the green beans still crunchy and partly raw.
- While the green beans are being steamed, prepare the cabbage by either thinly slicing or shredding it.
- Once the green beans have cooled, add cabbage.
- Add cooked buckwheat to the green beans.
- Mince garlic, chop parsley and add to green beans along with basil and other herbs you may desire.
- Add your choice of oil and vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix. This salad may be chilled or served immediately.
Blessings ~ Carmen
Better is a meal of vegetables where love is, Than a fatted calf with hatred. Tehillim/Proverb 15:17