This evening my daughter Leah and I prepared this wonderful Greek quinoa salad It had a Mediterranean flavor to it. This is a great vegan recipe if you choose to omit the cheese which we did. I took out the Sheep Feta cheese but forgot to place it on the table. It tasted great even without it. You could easily prepare this vegetarian quinoa salad recipe as a vegan dish by omitting the feta cheese or using another substitute.
Quinoa.net, quinoa is often referred to as a grain but it is more like a seed which comes from a leafy plant distantly related to spinach. Quinoa contains more protein than any other grain and is known to be a complete protein. It also provides starch, sugars, fiber, minerals and vitamins. It is also high in linoleic acid. Quinoa is also easy to digest also an alkaline food. For those looking to include more gluten-free foods, you can add quinoa to your list of acceptable foods.
The next time you are preparing a salad which calls for a grain other than quinoa, try substituting with quinoa. Because of its versatility, it can also be added to soups. I’ve even seen desert recipes using quinoa.
Greek Quinoa Salad
3-4 cups water or vegetable broth (we added some organic vegetable powder to water)
1 1/2 cups quinoa uncooked
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced (we doubled, maybe tripled)
juice from one lemon
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup kalamata olives, sliced if desired (we used plain black olives)
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 red onion, diced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1/2 cup chopped artichoke hearts (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a medium-large saucepan, cook the quinoa in vegetable broth for 15-20 minutes, until tender, stirring occasionally. Allow to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil. You may use the hand Braun mixer which works well.
- Gently toss the quinoa together with the remaining ingredients, except feta. Pour the olive oil mixture over the quinoa.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste and gently stir in the feta cheese.
- Other vegetables can also be added if you desire.
Information taken from: www.wholehealthmd.com
Recipe from: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianandvegansalads/r/greekquinoa.htm
This was shared with
Tuesday Twister at GNOWFLINS
Two for Tuesdays at GirlChef
Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
Pennywise Platter at The Nourishing Gourmet
Fight Back Friday at Food Renegade